Monday, March 03, 2014
Where has the time gone??
Ok - so where has the time gone? Seriously, January and February were a whirlwind! All of a sudden, it's March and I don't know how so much time passed without noticing!
The biggest change we've had lately is that I have started working at my dad's office when I'm not subbing, since their front desk person quit unexpectedly. So, working a 8-5 desk job has been a hard adjustment. I'm still subbing when I get called ahead of time, but I've been at the office more than I've been subbing. I am learning everything that I need to know about working in a dental office, but it is taking me a while, as I've never done anything like this before!! That combined with me starting a weight loss competition at the YMCA called Y Lose-It (think Biggest Loser for Y members in Lincoln) has pretty much thrown our family into survival mode during the week. Most afternoons I'm working later and/or teaching piano late and now I have a twice a week workout with a team in the evenings. So, my afternoons consist of getting home from the office, throwing dinner on the table and leaving again when Brian gets home! Luckily for me our awesome babysitters help the kids with homework and piano practicing after school. Long days and weeks!
The kids are doing great in 2nd grade. Still doing everything they have been; dance for Grace on Tuesdays, karate for Will on Tues and Thursdays. All three of them have started an after school club once a week. Grace chose a "Crafty Kids" club, which is right up her alley. They make crafts for an hour on Wednesday afternoons. The boys joined Chess Club, which was unusual since they really didn't know how to play the game. Brian taught them the basics and they played some games on computer before the club started. Now they play games against all sorts of other elementary kids. We're not sure if Will totally understands the game, though. He said today that he lost a game to Xander when Xander got his king in check-mate with his pawn. Hmmmm......
Everyone is doing great on piano and we've started songs for the spring festival and recitals. Those will all be in April, so we're working hard on those pieces now. And speaking of working hard, here is a video of something fun. Our church has an annual talent show. We decided to have the kids play this year, but rather than playing something individually, we had them learn a piano trio. Here is their version of "Yankee Doodle." Hope you enjoy!
One last triumphant story I have to share. I have been waiting for the day when I could hand one of the kids a $10 bill and send them to Target for something - and that day has finally come!! A few weeks ago, I was hurredly trying to make enchiladas and I was running out of cheese and olives. So, I showed Will and Grace what I needed, handed them $10 and told them to walk down to Target. We grocery shop there a lot, so they sort of knew where everything was. I told them if all else failed, ask someone in a red shirt. Off they went and 10 minutes later, they came back with cheese and olives!! I was so excited. No more piling everyone in to the car and driving to the store for one $.62 item anymore! I did it again today when I sent Xander and Grace down for more spaghetti sauce. Success! There are a lot of things I don't like about them getting older (the mouthiness and complete inability not to mess around all the time) but I really do like this responsibility thing we're developing here. They really are becoming trustworthy and responsible - it's great to see them growing up!
Here's hoping spring is just around the corner - stay warm until it does! I know we're really looking forward to it. Need some playing outside time here!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment