Wednesday, June 11, 2014

A rainy visit to a Battleship - Tuesday, May 27

This day started off super rainy. Thunderstorms and a tornado warning a little north of us. We stuck around the hotel room until it passed but eventually ventured out to visit the USS Dallas, a WWII era battleship that you can tour and learn about. This was actually pretty cool. As you can see from the first couple of picture, it was raining when we got there. But that actually worked in our favor, we were the only ones there! We got to run around the battleship and go wherever we wanted to without fighting crowds. The rain did work against us a little bit when I slid down a very narrow, metal staircase and bruised up my arm and back - otherwise it was fine.
 
 




A picture of what the bunks looked like. 5 or 6 stacked on top of each other.
The guns on deck actually moved. The kids had a blast moving them from side to side and up and down.
When it stopped raining they climbed up the stairs to the bride and parts high. There were several levels they went up.

A view from the bow with the big gigantic guns pointing at you. They were huge!

The rest of that day passed in a blur. I had woken up and felt kind of crappy, and eventually figured out that I was getting strep throat (which I get a lot). I called my doctor in Lincoln and begged and they called in some antibiotics to a Walgreens in Houston for me. On the way home from the battleship we picked them up. We were supposed to spend the afternoon at a waterpark, but with the rain and storms, they were all closed. So, instead Brian and the kids went to a game store and bought a Pokémon game that the boys were dying to play. They all played Pokémon all afternoon while I rested. I felt better when I woke up and we all went out for some great Mexican food. That picture is of a huge brownie sundae we got the kids - of course they inhaled it! Everyone was tired that night and we rested up for a fun day the next day - NASA!
 


No comments: