Friday, January 23, 2015

Braces and a birthday!

My dad put braces on Grace and Will right after the new year. It's just part of their comprehensive orthodontic work he's doing on them, phase II as it were! They feel pretty proud that they're the only kids in 3rd grade with braces! So far so good - a few days of soreness and a poking wire on Will's cheek and they're off!
Graces's before...
 Will's before....

 Will after!
 Grace after!

They will have a couple of months with these until those front teeth are straightened out. Then they go on to phase III which is an appliance called a BioBlock. I'll let you know more about that as we go. What about Xander, you ask? He is skipping straight to the Bioblock. He got the impressions to get it made just this morning. In about 3 weeks, he'll get it seated and he'll be off. He doesn't need the braces because his straight teeth are already pretty straight.

January 8th was the kids' 9th birthday! Can you believe it! It was a normal Thursday, so we had our normal schedule, although I did come eat lunch with them at school that day. We celebrated with cake and ice cream with the grandparents on Friday night and went to Omaha on Saturday (more on that later!). Another exciting announcement - on the kids' 9th birthday, their new cousin Gabriel August Baxter was born! He came a few weeks early, but he's healthy and doing great and now the kids share a birthday with a cousin!



 Adorable baby Gabe - or Gabie as Will has started calling him.

As part of their birthday celebration we took them to Omaha to play at the Omaha Children's museum and then go to dinner. Since they're getting pretty old for kids museums and stuff, we figured we'd better do it sooner rather than later. The museum was OK but the best part (that Brian and I were super excited about) was the animals that used to be in Richman Gordman in Lincoln. They were restored and the kids could play on them. Brian and I have great memories of playing on those while our moms were shopping. Fun times! I don't think the kids thought they were cool, but we did!

After the museum, we ate at Cheesecake Factory. The kids were big fans of that! They loved their dinners and the cheesecake was awesome. A little expensive, though, so I don't think we'll do it often.






The kids had their 9 year check up at Dr. Swisher's office on January 2nd. They're all doing great, nothing to worry about. They are all healthy and have no problems (except for maybe turning into smart ass tweens). Will was about the 70th percentile for height and weight. Xander was 85th for height and 73rd for weight and Grace was 50th for height and 45th for weight. So, their growth is all normal and fine. The one glich in the exam was that Will failed his eye test! He is about 20/40 in both eyes. No less than a week later, we got a letter from the nurse at school saying he failed the eye test at school, too. So....we have an eye dr. appointment for him in February. Probably glasses for him. He's actually excited about it, though. I think he is because it will make him different from the others. I'm sure I'll have updates to post about that later.

No comments: