Monday, September 07, 2015

An unfortunate event

Shortly before Mother's Day, we had a huge 8" rain here in Lincoln. Our stupid sump pump didn't work and our sump pit overflowed and flooded the whole basement.  I was at school on a Thursday morning when Brian called and said "get home, now!" I came home and we spent the entire rest of the day cleaning up everything on the floor in the basement and throwing away wet things. Brian had called the insurance company and 4 days (4 days of a wet basement!) later, they came and took out the carpet (see the 1st picture) and set up a ton of fans (21 to be exact) and a few dehumidifiers and dried everything out. You can see from a couple of the pictures, they even had to take out some drywall. What a mess! After 2 days of a lot of noise, the basement was dry and they took the fans back and we were left with a mostly unfinished basement!

Over Memorial weekend, Dale and Ellen helped us repair drywall and paint the entire thing (not necessarily needed, but I wanted to and it was the perfect opportunity). We painted a medium gray color and got everything all fixed up. With a new sump pump installed, we should be OK for any big rains again. It took a while longer to get carpet installed, but we were back to normal by mid-June, just in time for all the kids to have sleepovers for their birthday parties.

 The carpet pile by the front curb. Jeez!





 The mess that was the basement. And you can see below, what a mess upstairs was. We brought a lot of things up and even set up one of the computers.

Everything else got piled into the storage room to make room for the carpet layers.

All painted and fixed up and ready for carpet!


New carpet!


Finally, everything put back together! The one thing I can say about this is at least everything got cleaned up, organized, purged and put back together nicely! I even got a few new decorations and I'm sure will get more as I go but it nice to have all the paint colors matching and everything looking clean and fresh!

No comments: