Wednesday, December 07, 2016

5th grade - first day of school!

People - can you believe that the kids are in 5th grade. 5TH GRADE! I cannot handle it - they are growing way too fast! They are so independent this year. We hardly ever help them with homework. They've done all their own projects, we occasionally take them to the library or help them find some materials, but they never ask for help. They're in all diff classes and doing great. They've had huge growth spurts this summer and fall. Xander's feet are gigantic (size 9 men's) and he eats more than I do. They are all wearing size XL clothes and are almost ready for adult size clothes (hello expensive!) 

A big change in our house this year is I'm teaching full-time for the first time since before they were born. I'm in the same building as I was last year (behavior skills program) but I am gone later in the afternoon than they are (we are a late start school, their school is early) plus I have a lot of afternoon meetings. We got don't have a babysitter anymore and now they are home alone every afternoon. When the weather is nice, they ride their bike to piano. Grandma Pam comes and takes them if the weather is raining or cold. Wednesday and Thursday they are at school until 4 for chorus and orchestra, but still come home to an empty house. They have been pretty responsible at home alone, doing homework, practicing piano and strings and whatever else they need to do. I get the occasional phone call about fighting amongst themselves, but for the most part they do pretty well. 

Another big addition to our schedule is that the boys are in the Lincoln Boys Choir. It's been a pretty big commitment, rehearsing for an hour and a 15 mins every week and having many concerts (4 in December alone) but they are enjoying it and have learned a ton. It is pretty expensive: tuition, tickets, tuxedos and fundraisers. I don't know if we'll stick with it forever, but it is fun for now. Between sports, music, boy scouts (Grace quit girl scouts), karate, dance and church, we are for sure keeping busy!







No comments: