Monday, July 14, 2008

Yes folks, it's true. It has begun!


The thing I have been most dreading since I found out I was pregnant with triplets has begun. POTTY TRAINING! I have absolutely no clue how I am going to do this. I have read a book on potty training multiples, and it's only marginaly helped me. Brian and I both have different ideas on how we should go about this, but one thing we do agree on is that they're pretty much ready and we don't think doing one kid at a time will work. These kids do pretty much everything together at the same time, and we don't think that the other two will tolerate not getting to do what one is doing. So, we're all in!
Over the weekend, we got the potty chairs out. Three completely separate ones. They all know which one belongs to them, so there's no fighting about that. We are opting for the slow and steady approach. No drastic moves (like straight to underwear) yet. We are just sitting on the potty at different times during the day, hoping to catch them accidentally using it, to get the idea of what to do. Then we may try short periods of time in underwear, like an evening or afternoon. Then we'll see how that goes before we make any other decisions about where to go from there. In our experience, most everything we do is vastly different from the way parents of a singleton would do it (like our kids are 2 and 1/2 and still in cribs), so I think the conventional potty training wisdom may not help much. If anyone out there knows how other multiple families did it, please let us know!

No comments: