Just a quick update to let you know what has been happening around here. First of all, a big thank you to our parents, Kara, and Lisa for helping out with the kids while I went to class last week and Monday night. It was a long week for all of us and I think the kids have appreciated being back in their regular routine this week. I am not done with the class, yet. We have six more evening sessions from now until mid-September in Omaha, but at least no more long, full days. It is a good class, I'm enjoying it, I'm just not used to the work!
Between the class and the extreme heat outside, we haven't done a whole lot lately. So, my update can be mostly about what the kids are or are not doing lately.
I'll start with Will. He's still laid back, happy and cooperative as usual. He's the first to pick up toys when you ask and it usually does whatever else you ask of him. He's been the most successful on the potty, which may mean he's the first to underwear. We'll see. He also still says the funniest things. Ellen painted one of her rooms blue, he walked in and looked at it, held his hands up and said "I love it Grandma, it's pretty!" Priceless.
Grace has become so independent lately! She is my daughter! Everything is "I do it by self, mommy." This includes, but is not limited to, getting dressed/undressed, putting shoes on, or trying to pick up 8 things in her arms at once. She has been refusing to sit on the potty lately, and we haven't been pushing her. I don't know if it's a power thing or what, but when she's ready, she'll do it. She's getting much taller, but still very skinny. Her feet are huge, long and skinny. She's definitely built like a Niebuhr. And she's become very particular about how things are, even how her blanket is covering her up. I put the soft side on her today with the silky side up, and she looked at me and said "no mommy, put it the other way. Other side." Crazy girl.
Xander is still kind of in his ornery phase. He pinches, squeezes and pulls hair when he thinks Brian and I aren't watching. We blame Brian for the squeezing. He pretends he's squeezing them hard and makes a funny face and noises, even though he's not squeezing at all. Xander doesn't really understand that, so he actually squeezes. He can still pack away the food. You should see him eat! He is ALWAYS the last one finished at every meal. He'll eat three or four bowls of cereal in the morning along with a banana and a half (like he did today). He'll devour 3 pieces of Val's pizza and not even bat an eye, and there's always room for fruit. He has been loving strawberries and peaches lately. He ate two peaches by himself the other day. If you try to take his food away before he's done he'll yell "I still eating, mommy!"
As a whole, they are very into singing, as you can see from the videos. Their current favorites are all the Raffi "Songs to Read" books: Baby Beluga, Spider on the Floor, 5 Little Ducks, Wheels on the Bus, plus other folk songs books. We seem to sing a lot, and they are getting pretty good at it. It's funny to hear all three singing with us. They are playing quite nice by themselves for long stretches. There is occasional fighting, mostly when one takes something away or drives over body parts with cars, but nothing huge. They have been spending quality time in their toy room and enjoy it. Lots of other people have enjoyed it too, I think it will get a lot of use in the coming years. That's about all. Stay cool in this heat, everyone!
Tuesday, July 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment