Monday, August 04, 2008

Toe nail polish gone wrong



This morning, Grace was pretending to paint her toenails "pink, like mommy's" , so I asked her if she wanted me to paint her toenails for real. Usually she says no to this, but today she said yes. So, I did. The boys didn't really care that she was getting painted toes and they weren't, and they just went on playing and remarking on Grace's "purple toes". So, after I was done painting, I put the nail polish on the top shelf and we went into the kitchen to take a picture. When we came back, this is what I found. Xander painting the white shelf with the pink nail polish saying "pretty!". I was more horrified that he was using my brand new, expensive bottle of nail polish to play with, than I was about the shelf. It's just a cheap thing we painted, that can be easily covered up. He did get one little spot on the carpet, but miraculously nothing else was damaged. I can't believe he crawled up the shelves to obtain that polish. I remember very clearly, it was on the top shelf!!!!! Crazy boy! (Also, I'm pretty sure Will had nothing to do with it. He was across the room the whole time.)
Other than this incident this morning, things have been fairly normal around here. We have been staying home or indoor away from the heat. We did go swimming on Saturday, late afternoon at a public pool. The kids had a good time. We also hit the museum on Friday morning.
We have been having a tough time with Grace. She has been very obstinate, to a fault, lately. She wants to do everything herself and will even go so far as to undo what you did for her that she wanted to do for herself. For example, this morning, I asked her to pick up her pajamas and put them in the dirty clothes pile. Will did it for her. She freaked out, took them out of the pile, threw them across the room all while yelling "No, my do it!! No, my do it by myself!" Then proceeded to go pick them up and put them in the pile. This happens daily. If I help her put her shirt on, she'll take the shirt off and try to put it on again, by herself. Very rarely will she calmly ask for help if she needs it. Most of the time she'll scream. And, she threw a good hour and a half tantrum last night because she didn't get to close the gate at the top of the stairs by herself. Xander had on hand on it, so she freaked out about that, so I went and closed it. It was a long night.
Nothing is new with the boys, they are still doing all the same things. Xander is eating a lot and squeezing people all the time. Will is happy and content and always plays nicely. Nothing new with potty training, we need to take the next step, but I am again procrastinating. It's so daunting to think about trying to do this with three, that I just shut down and can't think about it. Hope you are all staying cool. More next week.

No comments: