Sunday, June 14, 2009

Strawberries in the rain and a picnic and UP!



























Here are a few pictures of what we did over the weekend. Friday, we went with Grandma Pam to Roca Berry Farm to pick strawberries, and got totally soaked in the rain. The kids didn't seem to mind, though. Saturday was a gorgeous day and we went to the multiples club annual picnic. It was on an acreage east of town and it was a lot of fun. The Wienerschlinger (from the Husker football games) was there. He let the kids shoot their own hotdogs then chase them down. All the kids who knew what it was all about loved it. Ours had no idea what was going on. They were among the last to chase a hotdog, because they weren't quite sure what the deal was. Otherwise, they played games (the kids even participated in a few relay games), had good food and did a pinata. It was a nice afternoon. We also took the kids to see "UP" at the theater with grandma and grandpa Niebuhr. They sat fantastically for the 12:15 matinee, through 25 minutes of previews/ads and a little animated short, that was cute but unnecessary. No potty breaks and they sat in booster seats so there wasn't a chair-seat-staying-down problem like we had last time we took them to a movie. It was a cute movie, I highly recommend it!


We have been very busy around here, with multiples things going on each day. Fortunately, we've had pretty regular nap and bedtimes, which keeps us sane. The kids started swimming lessons on Tuesday/Thursdays and love it! We aren't with them during swim lessons, just the teacher. There are 4 kids total in the class, and they've done things for her that they won't do for us, like put their heads underwater. The teacher wouldn't even let us sit in the pool area to watch, so we sat outside and looked through a window on Tuesday. On Thursday, Brian didn't stay and I took a tap dancing class with some friends while the kids swam. The kids also started gymnastics on Wednesday, a present from grandma and grandpa Hoefs for their birthdays. They had a fantastic time there and have been talking about it ever since. I don't have any pictures, because parents aren't allowed in the gym. I did stick my head in for just a minute and watched them. They were doing a great job and following all directions. Not one minute of hesitation about doing anything. There is a parent visitation day in July, so I can get some pics/video then.
I am really starting to like this arrangement where the kids are in activities, and I don't have to be there! It's a nice break. It's a little sad that they don't need me anymore. In fact, lately, they don't really want to play with me unless it's a playing a game or reading. The boys and I went to the indoor playground on Thursday (Grace was with grandma Ellen for a little 1:1 time) and they just kind of ignored me, preferring to play by themselves or with each other. So, I ended up reading a book for about 2 hours. I suppose this is going to happen more often than not, now. We are trying to split up the kids once a week this summer for 1:1 time. Each grandma and I are taking one on Thursday mornings (this week Pam couldn't). I think that it will be good for the kids, to choose a special activity that only they get to do.

We are making some progress in the "waking up dry" campaign. Will averages about every third/every other morning waking up dry. Xander has started waking up dry about twice a week (which is more than he used to). I'm still doing a lot of laundry, but we are definitely going in the right directions! Yay for that!
Xander's favorite new line is "no comprendo." Now, he learned this from Veggie Tales. I love Veggie Tales for the most part, but I don't love them teaching Xander to tell me "no comprendo" when I tell him to do something. Don't worry, I'm pretty sure he knows what it means, because he uses it in the same context as Larry the Cucumber.

Their new favorite song/tune is "Where is thumbkin?" But in true triplet fashion, they never sing the correct words. The best renditions heard over the past month are....

Will: Are you stinky, are you stinky?
Xander: Yes, I am. yes I am.
Will: Stinky, stinky, stinky.
Xander: Stinky, stinky, stinky.
Will: Stink, stink, stink.
Xander: Stink, stink, stink.

Brian: Where is Xander, Where is Xander?
Xander: Here I am. Here I am.
Brian: How are you today, sir?
Xander: Very, fine I thank you.
Brian: Run away.
Xander: Run away.

Xander (while in the cart at the grocery store)
Mayonnaise, mayonnaise. Mayonnaise, mayonnaise
Yum, yum, yum. Yum, yum, yum.
Yummy, yummy, yummy, yummy, yummy, yummy.
Mayonnaise, mayonnaise, mayonnaise. Mayonnaise, mayonnaise, mayonnaise
(spoken) Mommy, what does Yummy mean?

It is also interesting to note that when they sing this song back and forth they sing in the same key, or they'll answer us in the key we sing in. They are getting very good at singing on pitch and in-tune. They are also getting very good at keeping the syllables of words correct in a song. There's talent there, I think :-). Well, that's about it. Hope everyone is well. More next week.

No comments: