Sunday, January 17, 2010

"And the award goes to...."

Welcome to the 1st Annual "Sickie" awards, presented to the Niebuhr family, of Lincoln, Nebraska. These awards were created to award the most outstanding sick performances in the Niebuhr household in the month of January 2010.

The award for "Sickest child" goes to:
Xander Niebuhr for his bout of pneumonia!
Xander: "I would like to thank Dr. Swisher for discovering my pneumonia after I had been sick for only 4 days. My mom would have probably waited longer to take me to the doctor, but we happened to see him for our 4 year old appointment and he ordered an x-ray and discovered I had bacterial pneumonia. I also want to thank Dr. Swisher for the great antibiotics he gave me. I am back to my regular self now, except for the lingering bad cough!"

The award for "Most illnesses in 2 weeks" goes to:
William Niebuhr for his stomach flu, cold and ear infection!
Will: "I would like all the kids I was around for giving me these illnesses. I couldn't have done it without you! I would also like to thank Dr. Swisher for the antibiotics for my ear infection and for not giving me steroids for my coughing. A big shout out to my nebulizer and albuterol. You've helped me through some hard times. Finally, a great big thanks to my parents, especially my dad who stayed home from work on Friday and drug all three of us to the doctor, only to wait for over an hour so I could be seen for my sore ear. He was really a trooper. Thanks dad!

The award for "Grumpiest sick person" goes to:
Grace Niebuhr for her week long cold!
Grace: "I would like to thank my mom for coddling me for an entire week, teaching me that when I whine and cry, I get attention. I would also like to thank the bottle of Motrin mom bought at Target, that helped me feel somewhat normal while I had a 102 degree fever for 5 days. I hardly every get sick, so this award is a huge honor for me! Thank you so much!"

The award for "Most helpful person in a household of sick people" goes to:
It's a tie - Grandma Ellen and daddy!
Both of these two have been extraordinarily helpful in these last two weeks. Ellen watched the kids several extra days last week during my bout of strep throat. She also came through for me when we were at the doctor's office during naptime on Tuesday for the 4 year old check up that was taking waaaaayyyyy too long. While I was waiting with Xander for an x-ray and breathing treatment, she picked up the other two and took them home for me. Brian also deserves the award for most helpful, first by taking the day off at the last minute on Friday when Will said his ear really hurt. Then for watching the kids entirely on his own on Saturday, while I was sick with the stomach flu.

The award for "Best timing" goes to:
Mother Nature, for the snowstorm/cold snap that came at just the right time, so neither Erin or Brian had to take off work for the first round of illness last week.

And finally, the award for "Staying healthy the longest" goes to:
Brian, even though he finally succumbed to the stomach flu today!

The timeline goes something like this:
Sunday (the 3rd) - Erin gets strep throat
Monday - Erin is dying. Ellen takes kids - Will gets stomach flu after lunch. Throws up all afternoon/evening. Pam takes other two, so Will and Erin can commiserate on the couch together Monday evening.
Tuesday - Will stops throwing up, Erin is still dying. Ellen takes kids again. Will does not go to preschool, but the others do.
Wednesday - Erin is off her death bed, Ellen has kids in the evening. School is cancelled.
Thursday - School is cancelled again, kids do not get to take cupcakes to preschool for their birthday, but they wouldn't have gone anyway. Will and Grace are getting colds, Grace has a 102 fever, Will is coughing his head off.
Friday - school is cancelled, everyone is still sick.
Saturday - Only Erin is better. We're supposed to go to my dad's office holiday party, but we don't at the last minute, because Xander starts throwing up around 4:00.
Sunday - Xander stops throwing up, but gets the cold. Grace and Will still sick. We don't go anywhere again.
Monday - Xander is pretty sick, but I decide not to take him in on Monday, because we have an appt the next day. He just sits on couch.
Tuesday - 4 year old check up at 1:30. Dr. Swisher says that Will and Grace just have colds, no big deal. He also says he doesn't like the sound of Xander's lungs. Would like to give him an albuterol treatment to see if it improves, if not, x-ray. Does not help, orders x-ray, sees pneumonia on left side. He is sure it's bacterial, because it is only on one side, and viral is usually on both sides. Leave with antibiotics and a falling asleep 4 year old, because it's 4:30 by this time.
Wednesday - I actually have to go to work today. Ellen takes kids at usual time. We decide to touch base at bedtime to decide whether or not she's going to take them to preschool on Thursday morning.
Thursday - We decide they are not going to preschool or daycare. Xander is not better enough, and we'd like to try to keep the kids away from germs while their immune systems are down. Ellen keeps them all day, and I pick them up after school.
Friday - Everyone seems on the mend, and we have intentions of going to daycare. Will wakes up and says his ear hurts and he is still coughing up a storm. Brian decides to take the day off and hauls them to the doctor. Ear infection, but Dr. Swisher just thinks his coughing is an upper respiratory infection that will clear up without steroids, (Thank God!).
Saturday - Erin starts throwing up around 4 a.m. Brian has to watch kids all day because I can't even get up!
Sunday (today) - Brian starts to feel sick to his stomach. Good thing he has the day off tomorrow...And here's to Grandma Pam who has offered to take the kids for some extra time tomorrow, Lord knows both Brian and I could use a break!


We hope you have enjoyed our 1st Annual "Sickie" Awards. Let's hope we don't have a repeat performance any time soon!


2 comments:

Jenny said...

hey erin... I'm sorry that your family has been soo sick!!! But, it sure made for a hilarious blog! You are too funny :) We have ALL had the stomach flu around here too.. NO FUN!!!! Glad to hear that everyone is doing better.

Quinn's Diary said...

Wow, you deserve some good fortune and healthy kids! What a mess! Get better soon! All of you! Being a sick mom is the worse! Then to have sick kids on top of it! Yuck!