Sunday, March 07, 2010

Superhero Obsession

Superman and Batman shooting webs out of their wrist like spiderman.

Buzz Lightyear wearing a cape.

This is how tinkerbell flies....
This is how Batman flies.....
This is how Superman flies......
The closest Grace gets to wearing something with a cape...

We have a huge superhero obsession in our house these days. It began at Halloween with Xander being Batman, and has gotten much worse. Santa didn't help with all the superhero things he brought, including the pajamas, t-shirts, batman toys and books. We check out all sorts of superhero books at the library each week and it seems the only pajamas they want to wear are the batman and spider man ones. Their main games they play lately have to do with flying around, building forts for their heroes and fighting each other (this last one is quite annoying as they are always tackling, hitting and laying on each other.) Poor Grace gets left out of this trend a little bit. There aren't a lot of superhero girl costumes. But, she is getting a Supergirl t-shirt from the Easter Bunny, which I think she will like.
Things have been going along well, not any unusual or exciting things to tell. Will had a slight cold last week, but seemed to get over it in only a couple of days with minimum nebulizer treatments. The kids went to Aunt Lisa and Uncle Chad's house on Friday night for dinner and a movie with them and Carter. They had a good time and got to watch their favorite movie "Cars" for the hundreth time. Thanks Aunt Lisa and Uncle Chad for showing them a good time and giving us a night out!

The weather has gotten a little warmer and we actually made it outside on Saturday for the first bike ride and walk of the season. Grace and I walked down to Target, and she skipped/ran the whole way. Then, they went on a walk around the block and Brian said she ran the whole time. I think they are ready for warm weather and playing outside, I am too!

Another new development in our house, which is not necessarily a welcome one is that they have started voluntarily getting out of bed in the morning. They used to never do this. They have almost always waited in their beds in the morning for us to come get them. This does not mean that they're quiet in their beds, but they always stayed in bed. Lately, they have been getting up and coming into our room and waking us up. This is fine on mornings where we need to get to preschool or daycare early, but this is not fine on Saturday. I remember Kara telling me about an article she read about how to get your kids to let you sleep in on Saturdays. Most of what the article said were suggestions that the kids are too little for, but one of the was good, so we did it. I dug out an old digital alarm clock from the storage room (Grace got to pick out a little cheap pink one at Target) and we taught them how to read the numbers and wait until the the first number is 7 or 8 before they could get out of bed. We practiced with various times on the clock, and then I set it to the right time. It worked well on Saturday morning. They came into our room at 7:07, which is probably the best we could have hoped for! They like their clocks. I heard Grace say as she was getting into bed tonight "I love my new clock. I'm glad it's here." We'll how this clock experiment pans out in the future, but so far so good.
I think that's about all our news for now. We have some fun things planned this weekend, fun night at preschool and a get together with some people from Brian's work, so I'll post about that next week. Thanks for looking!

No comments: