Wednesday, November 30, 2011
Thanksgiving 2011
Here are some pictures from Thanksgiving last Thursday. We had a nice long weekend. The kids were over the moon to get 5 days off from school! (Wait until I tell them they get 17 days off at Christmas!!) We spent Thursday with the Niebuhrs, eating around noon, then we hung out in the afternoon playing and watching movies. We went home around 5 then the kids and I put up the Christmas tree while Brian took a nap! We ate a small dinner and then to bed. Everyone was exhausted! Friday was the Husker football game, which we watched part with the Niebuhrs, and part with the Hoefs. We also put up Christmas decorations and watched a couple of Christmas shows on TV (we're getting into the spirit a little early around here!) Saturday, the kids baked pie with my mom, while Brian, Kara and I did some shopping. I actually got about halfway through my list. Santa has his presents purchased already, and I got some things for family members and Brian. I don't think I've ever been this far into my shopping so early!!!! Sunday was Thanksgiving with the Hoefs. We hung out there from after church until around 7. The kids fell into bed right at 7:30 that night, but got up and went to school on Monday pretty well!! It was a busy but nice weekend. As I said, the kids enjoyed their days off, although they didn't sleep in much!! Now starts 4 weeks of super-busy time in our house. Grace has a dance recital this weekend, plus we have many parties to attend in the next few weeks. I think it will all be fun, though! I'm sure I'll bombard you with pictures of all our holiday festivities all month.
In other news, things are going well for the kids at school. We got their mid-term assessment checklists sent home last week, they're all doing great and have very few areas of concern we need to work on. They're always good as gold at school, which we like. I am still volunteering in each room once every two weeks. It's fun to see them in action, making friends and acting so grown up! Their teachers give me lots of work to do, whether it's something around the classroom, or giving some students extra help. I enjoy it, it's a lot different being in a regular classroom compared to a music room. It's a nice change.
Speaking of music classrooms, I've been doing some subbing lately. Not a ton, but once or twice a week I'll go to an elementary school and fill in for a music teacher. It's definitely hard and I would prefer a regular job, but the pay is good and I have the time, so it'll do for now! Jessica, the babysitter we hired, is turning out to be great. She's flexible and can come and pick the kids up or not depending on what kind of jobs I get. The kids like her, although Xander has figured out how to get lots of attention from her by being naughty. She's a sweet girl, though. A keeper!
All in all, we've still been chugging away in our normal routine. Xander has been a bit of a handful lately. He has to be the most stubborn child on the planet, if we haven't mentioned it before (I'm sure we have!!). I think we're finally starting to figure out how to handle him, I think.....The last few weeks seem to be slightly better (knock on wood) so I'll let you know how we keep going. Piano practicing has been rough. All three of them are very tired and burned out after school, so we've not been having very productive practicing sessions. More often than not, practicing ends in tears or yelling, which I hate! They just don't have any attention span left and would rather be running around outside or watching TV. When we have time, I've been trying to get them to practice before school, but that doesn't happen very often when I don't have to leave the house early and they're ready in enough time. We've also been trying to practice on the weekends, too. That is also hard when we're busy!
Grace and I suffered through the stomach flu last week, even though none of the boys did. Will has a cold and his asthma is acting up again, so it's back to late night nebulizer treatments for him. Hopefully this won't last too long, getting up at night is starting to get old!! So are trips to the asthma doctor! I'm really glad we've been relatively healthy this fall. Only Will has missed one day of school for a cold, the others have only missed a few hours for a dentist appointment. That's great!!
Well, that's about all of our news. As I was looking back at the last few posts, I noticed I haven't posted many details about our days. I guess that's because all we do is school! Maybe December will bring more interesting news! Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment