Saturday, February 25, 2012

The season of Lent in the mind of a 6-year-old......

Wednesday....
Grace: I think I am going to try to give up sweets for Lent.
Brian: Are you sure? It's really hard to give up sweets. You can't eat any cookies, cakes or candy for 50 days.
Grace: I'll try it.

Thursday after school.....
Grace (eating Valentine's candy): I'm done giving up sweets for Lent.
Brian: So, you fell off the wagon?

Later that day....
Will: I'm going to try to give up Wii for Lent.
Grace: Are you sure? It will be really hard.
Will: Yep, I'll try.

Friday (turning on the Wii):
Will: I'm done giving up Wii for Lent.
Grace: Will, you fell off the wagon already?

Saturday:
Xander: You're supposed to give up something you like for Lent. I like school. I think I'll give up school for Lent!
Grace: You can't give up school for Lent! You have to keep going to school all the time.
Xander: But, I like school and I want to give something up for Lent.
Will: How about giving up Wii?
Xander: No, I really like that and I don't want to give it up. I'll just give up school.

Well, at least they're realizing how hard it is to give up stuff you like for Lent. Brian and I always give up stuff (he gives up sweets and I give up soda). Maybe as they get older they'll be able to hold off for longer....

No comments: