The evenings have been so nice outside that the kids have been spending a lot of time with the neighbors. Fun! One night, the boys went out dressed as clowns for their "parade/circus". Nyah, the neighbor girl, was the ringmaster and the boys did pretty much whatever she told them to. Here are a few pictures from that. It was cute!
Now for the not-so-fun. They have homework EVERYDAY!! It's not really all that hard, but it still takes 5 -10 minutes (depending on how hard Will is concentrating) everyday to do. Xander did his homework with his helmet on, either to keep all the thoughts in, or because he was REALLY ready to get outside and ride his bike!
You can see in this picture that will is trying to blow a bubble with his gum. That is a new obsession in this house. I have never really let them chew gum before, because I didn't want to have to clean it up if they spit it out. I have relented because, well, they're 6 and most other 6 year olds chew gum a lot and there's really no other reason why they can't have it. So far, the only mis-hap is that Grace accidentally swallows it. No gum in hair or on carpet, though, thank goodness.
Things are going really well. Everyone has adjusted back to the routine of school. The Xander-from-Kindergarten-you-know-where (you remember the one: the cranky, tired, irritable, belligerent, screaming one who came home from Kindergarten everyday for the first three months) made a re-appearance the first week of school. Boy was he a tired, cranky mess everyday. Bad Xander has since gone back to that dark place he came from and our regular Xander is back. Happy to say he has earned back all his stars on our star chart and is restored to video game playing status. It was a long 2 weeks for him with no video games because he was such a terrible listener that he lost all his stars!! Our mornings are much smoother now after the adjustment of me leaving every morning. I am usually out the door by 7:40 or so, which leaves Brian to shepherd them out the door at 8. We just have been doing a lot of planning ahead and getting things ready the night before so we aren't running crazy in the mornings. I like that I am home from school in the early afternoons, so I have an hour or two for things like laundry and errands before the kids get home. I am really liking this schedule!!
The kids have been walking to and from school by themselves everyday. The meeting place we chose on the 1st day of school was the big post office box at the front of the building. The 2nd day of school, I walked up there and hid behind the box to see if they would all meet there, and they did. The third day, I stood at the top of our street with another mom, to see if they were with Nyah, who they are also supposed walk with. They were, and they made across the busy street and around the corner fine! So, I stopped going outside to meet them and didn't do anything except leave the garage door open, and they have made it home everyday. It is sooooooo nice not to rush to walk up there (and get hot and sweaty in the process) everyday. They are becomign so grown up and resonsible, it's hard to believe! I think they are pretty good with street safety (watching for cars, etc.) and there's tons of people around and they walk with a big group of kids from our street, so there's safety in numbers, I think.
Everyone is practicing the piano well and liking their new teacher. I'll have to get video of them playing new songs and post it sometime soon. Football and soccer have started (pictures of those coming soon). So far so good with all of those. Grace scored a goal in her first soccer game on Sunday!! Choir and dance start this week, and I start teaching piano lessons next week, so that will round out our busy September and October schedule. I will try to keep up with blog posts, but we'll see!! Thanks so looking in on us. More soon!









No comments:
Post a Comment