Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Play-Doh (day-oh)

















Well, not a lot happened since I last posted, the reason, of course, illness! Whatever these guys had, it was really bad. Especially Will. I know illnesses affect him differently because of his asthma, and this one was really hard on him. On Tuesday, I mentioned he visited the doctor and he upped his inhaled steroids. By Wednesday, he was wheezing as bad or worse, not sleeping, screaming all the time, still had a fever in the high 102's and was just beside himself coughing. So, I called back the doctor and they put him on oral steroids, too. Dr. Swisher didn't want to do that if at all possible, because he's been on them too often. But, the wheezing was just too bad. Those oral steroids give us a different Will. He was so grumpy and screaming all the time. Friday and Saturday were the worst days. Consequently, we didn't go anywhere all week or weekend. No storytime, museum, church or anywhere else. The only place they did go was grandparents house like normal while I had piano lessons. Monday was a day off for daddy, and things were a lot better. Grace is back to normal, almost done with her antibiotics. Xander never really got sick, although he has a really runny nose, it may be a sinus infection. I'll give him a few more days and see if it clears up. Will, thank god, is finally back to normal. He is still coughing some, but I think he always will be. He's off the oral steroids, just on the inhaled ones, now. And, so far they don't seem to be changing his behavior too much. He's pleasant, laughing and smiling. I even got kisses last night! Today we ventured out to eat lunch at church with grandma. Tomorrow we will hit storytime again and then our class on Thursday as scheduled. It feels good to start doing things again!
You can see from the pictures I got out some play-doh from Christmas to pass a long afternoon when we couldn't go anywhere. They loved it! It occupied Xander and Grace for 1 hour and 15 minutes. (I think that's a record for longest time on one activity). As you can see from the pictures, Grace's main occupation with the play-doh was to break it into small pieces and make a pile. Xander played with the container, putting it in and out, taking the lid on and off, etc. Will was more interested in the tools it came with, the cookie cutters, rolling pin, etc. It surprised me how differently they all played with it. We will remember that activity to pass more cold and rainy days in months to come! I hope you all are staying warm. I hope I will have healthy news to report to you next week. Take care!

No comments: