Thursday, August 11, 2011

Kindergarten - T-minus 5 days and counting...

It's true folks. Our three little kids will be kindergarteners in less than a week! Can you believe it? We can't! I think the biggest thing I am thinking about is how once you start school, it's a LOOOONG time until you stop! So, I'm just trying to prepare myself for the fact that we will be in "school" mode for many years now. It is a change to start thinking about having to do things only in the after school or weekend hours.

They are very excited to start school. We had open house tonight at Cavett and they got to meet their teachers, see their rooms, walk around the rest of the school, and even choose what lunch they would eat on the first day of school (they all chose to eat hot lunch of cheese pizza, by the way). Many people are asking me if they will be in the same class, and my answer is a resounding "No!". They NEED to be separated and start developing their own selves, and move away from being known as "us". I would love it if they would stop speaking plural (We like apples. We want to go swimming.) and start identifying themselves as individuals. I think separate classrooms is the best way to accomlish that. Plus, they already have tons of experiences together, it will be nice for them each to have their own separate stories and experiences. Luckily, the teachers they all have work together frequently and do activities (like field trips) together, so they would be together for special times (which is nice for me.)

Our last few summer days have been spent cramming in all the things we won't have time to do once school starts. We've been to the zoo, Lost in Fun, swimming (a ton of times!), we toured the East Campus dairy store and had ice cream, library, hair cuts, bike rides, a movie (Mr. Popper's Penguins), trips to the park, running errands. You name it, we've done it. The days are long when they don't take naps, so I've been trying to fill them up, then they crash into bed at 8 pm with not a single peep. During the hot afternoons if we aren't swimming, we could be found playing computer, reading, or watching movies at home. Since it's cooled off a little, we've been playing more outside, riding bikes and going to parks. They're still having piano lessons, among all the activities. They're doing pretty well, when I can get them to practice without fighting! Already the fights over practicing begin....

On a sad note, we said goodbye to Brian's grandpa (Dale's dad) on Tuesday. Opa, as he's known to the great grandkids. He had been sick for some time, and passed away last week on Friday. I'm not sure the kids totally understood what was happening, and I don't know that they understand they won't see him again. The next family gathering when he is not there will be the test. It was a sad day, but he is in a better place. These are a couple of pictures of him with the kids, one from when they were babies, their first Christmas. And one from Christmas 2009. That's cousin Carter in the 2nd one. We'll miss you, Opa! 

No comments: