Monday, April 29, 2013

Sorry no pictures, but some good news....

I am just really bad at taking pictures lately. I will try to get some of the kids at soccer and piano this weekend. You'll want to see how toothless they all are! The tooth fairy has visited many times lately!

We've had lots of busy things going on lately. The biggest good news is that the kids played in their first Lincoln Music Teachers' Association festival this last weekend. They've been doing these the same since Brian and I were kids. Pretty much what you do is prepare 2 contrasting songs and play those in a room for a judge. He/she gives you a score from 1 to 4 (1 is highest). There is also a theory test to take. The kids and I studied for the test quite a bit and they prepared their two songs. The looked a little nervous on Saturday morning, but they ended up doing a great job. The all got a one!! We won't know about their theory tests for a while, but a good score qualifies them to go to the state festival this fall! We're very proud of them - in fact we took them out to dinner and for ice cream Saturday night to celebrate!

Our other great news is that Will is final pull-up free at night! He has been sleeping through the night, dry, for about 2 weeks now and is not wearing pull-ups anymore! We borrowed a night-time alarm from Lisa and Chad. Pretty much it is an alarm that attached to underwear and buzzes/beeps when it gets wet. The idea is that it lets you know when you start to wet so your brain can begin to learn the feeling of having a full bladder, and wake you up to use the bathroom. Well, he set off the alarm the first two nights he wore it. After that, he didn't set off the alarm (and also didn't get up to go to the bathroom) and hasn't looked back! He is dry and pull-up free! I think he's pretty proud of himself and we're certainly glad not to be buying pull-ups anymore!

The kids are doing well in soccer, I will try to get some pictures up of them in their games. It's been busy with a practice and game each week, but Brian and I have been taking turns going and it seems to work out OK. The boys are really doing a nice job in their games. Xander is finally getting a little more aggressive with his playing, and he has a knack for being able to look ahead and predict where the play will go. Will is doing better, he seems to enjoy playing defense and does well. He was playing great defense this weekend until he got body-checked by a bigger boy from the other team and went flying. He went flying and landed on his wrist and I thought for a moment we might be having our first trip to the ER, but it seems that it was just jammed/sprained and not really hurt too badly. (Although, he has been nursing the wound for all he has!!) Will wasn't the only casualty from that game. A couple other boys got hurt too, the team we were playing was just really physical! Grace does great in practice. She runs hard and plays aggressively - I've watched her beat some of the 2nd grade girls they practice with. But when she gets into a game, she clams up and doesn't do anything. I'm not sure what her problem is, but she's very timid.

Well, that's about all - counting down the days until the end of school. Only 18 days left, if you can believe it. I had some bad news about school for me next year. Since my position is not tenured, I am at the mercy of the music staff that is tenured. I found out about 2 weeks ago that I was surplussed and my job (which was going to be full-time next year) was given to a tenured person that the district owed a full-time job to. I am a little sad about it, because I enjoyed being at Clinton. I really like the people I work with - but such is life for a non-tenured person! So, I am currently waiting to see what other music jobs are available and just waiting. There are a few jobs posted, and I am willing to go anywhere and work full or part time, whatever is available! Say a few prayers for me that I find something!

I think that's all for now. Thanks for checking on us!

No comments: